EJI is a nonprofit law office and human rights organization that provides legal assistance to condemned prisoners, children in the criminal justice system, people wrongly convicted or sentenced, and prisoners suffering inhumane conditions of confinement.
About the Position
As a member of the Communications Team, the Communications Manager will support and execute a strategy to help further raise awareness and increase the impact of EJI’s work in social justice and criminal justice reform. This role will report to the Deputy Director of Strategic Initiatives and will work closely with senior leadership.
The role may be based in Montgomery, Alabama, or in New York, New York. We are open to this being a remote position.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage incoming press inquiries and requests and coordinate follow-up;
- Maintain robust database of media contacts and partners;
- Manage ongoing tracking and metrics system for PR;
- Create organization system and manage media assets including photography, video, etc.;
- Create daily analysis of press mentions and lead media reporting;
- Create and distribute press releases, announcements and other collateral materials with messaging that is compelling, tactful, and effective;
- Cultivate, maintain, and expand relationships with key journalists, bloggers, and other influential media figures;
- Manage on-site production crews for interviews and filming;
- Other communications support, as assigned.
- Commitment to EJI’s mission to end mass incarceration and excessive punishment in the United States, challenge racial and economic injustice, and protect basic human rights for the most vulnerable people in American society;
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 7+ years of experience in PR and communications at a fast paced and growing organization;
- Excellent presentation, communication, writing, and editing skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills to help you navigate all types of working relationships with the ability to proactively support internal team members as well as professionally represent EJI with partners, members of the media and other collaborators;
- Strong experience with both traditional and emerging media;
- Strong understanding of press tracking and media value concepts;
- High proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Suite, database management, social media tools, graphic formatting skills, copy editing;
- A self-starter who is organized, detail oriented, and confident;
- Flexible, mature, self-aware, and a team player.
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. No phone calls please. EJI welcomes applicants from historically underserved communities and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.