- EJI's History of Racial Injustice Online Timeline
Browse expanded content and images from our 2013 calendar.
- Alabama Death Row Map
Interactive map shows current death sentences in Alabama.
- Video: Rachel Maddow Show
Bryan Stevenson joins Rachel Maddow to discuss the Attorney General's proposals to reduce mass incarceration.
- Video: Moyers & Company
Bryan Stevenson discusses race, poverty, and injustice in the American legal system.
- Video: TED 2012
Bryan Stevenson's TED talk, "We Need to Talk About An Injustice"
- Video: On the Frontlines of Social Change
Ford Foundation film profiles EJI as part of its work with visionaries on the frontlines of social change worldwide.
- Video: Smithsonian Magazine
Profile of Social Progress Award Winner Bryan Stevenson.
- Audio: Jailing Children for Life in the U.S.A.
Bryan Stevenson on mass incarceration and abusive treatment of children in the adult criminal justice system.
- Video: Rock Center with Brian Williams Bryan Stevenson discusses kids in solitary confinement.
- Video: Bryan Stevenson on the Politics of Fear and Anger
Discussion hosted by the Children's Defense Fund on ending the cradle to prison pipeline.
- Video: CBS News
Reporting on EJI's findings of sexual violence against women at Alabama's Tutwiler Prison.
- Video: CNN: Why Are Millions of Americans Locked Up?
Bryan Stevenson discusses mass incarceration in the U.S.
- Video: Up with Chris Hayes: Too Young for Life in Prison?
Bryan Stevenson discusses Supreme Court cases challenging sentencing young teens to die in prison.
- Video: The Rachel Maddow Show
Bryan Stevenson addresses death-in-prison sentences for children and the death penalty in the U.S.
- Video: Sentencing Young Teens to Die in Prison
EJI film documents sentencing of young kids to life in prison without parole.
- Video: Joe Sullivan on PBS Need To Know
Featuring EJI client whose death-in-prison sentence for a crime at age 13 was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Video: Surviving Death in Prison
EJI client Phillip Shaw talks about life after being released from prison.
- Video: WHNT (Huntsville, AL)
Judicial Override Allowed in Alabama, But Still Controversial
- Video: Death In Dixie
Film featuring former First Lady Rosalynn Carter explores race and the death penalty and profiles three Alabama wrongful conviction cases.
- Video: Speaking of Justice
Bryan Stevenson speaks about Maryland Commission's recommendation to abolish death penalty.
- Video: Race to Execution
EJI worked with Emmy Award-winning film maker Rachel Lyon on this documentary that explores the relationship between race and capital punishment in the United States. The film examines the case of an Alabama inmate for whom EJI tried to provide last-minute assistance. EJI distributed information about this important new documentary, which aired on PBS television on March 27, 2007.
- Video: Bryan Stevenson on Race and the Death Penalty
Excerpt of speech on the death penalty at The New School in New York in April 2007.
- Audio: Race and Jury Selection on NPR
All Things Considered features Bryan Stevenson on continued exclusion of African Americans from jury service.
- Audio: NPR
Justices Bar Mandatory Life Terms for Juveniles, 6/25/12
- Audio: NPR Juveniles Need a Chance, Not Life in Prison
- Audio: NPR
Court Bars Life Terms For Youths Who Haven't Killed
- Audio: Ghetto Life 101
13- and 14-year-old boys talk about life in low-income community on Chicago's South Side in award-winning documentary.
- Slideshow: Children Sentenced to die in Prison
Photo exhibit featuring 13- and 14-year-olds sentenced to die in prison.
- The Death Penalty in the U.S.
Summarizing nationwide data on the death penalty.
- The Death Penalty in Alabama
Facts on Alabama’s death row, judicial override, inadequate counsel, racial bias, and more.
- Alabama's Disproportionately High Rate of Death Sentencing
Fact sheet showing that Alabama leads the nation in death sentencing and execution rate.
- Alabama Executions
Information about death row prisoners scheduled to be executed in Alabama and about recent executions, plus list of all executions in Alabama since the death penalty was reinstated.
- Alabama Judicial Campaign Advertisements
Fact sheet about attack ads and smear tactics rampant in Alabama judicial elections.
- Judicial Selection in Alabama
Fact sheet about Alabama's partisan and costly judicial elections.
- Alabama’s Exonerated
Describing cases of persons exonerated and released from Alabama’s death row.
- The Crisis of Counsel in Alabama
Fact sheet about the impact of inadequate counsel in Alabama cases.
- Sentencing in Alabama
Fact sheet detailing Alabama’s sentencing laws and their impact.
- Probation in Alabama
Fact sheet explaining the probation process in Alabama.
- Alabama Prison Conditions
Fact sheet detailing overcrowding, safety, and medical concerns in Alabama’s prisons.
- The Prison Crisis in Alabama
Fact sheet addressing soaring incarceration rates and excessive sentencing in Alabama.
- Pardons and Paroles in Alabama
Fact sheet providing statistics and historical information about the Board of Pardons and Paroles’s operations in Alabama.
- Post-Release Education & Preparation (PREP) Program
Fact sheet about EJI's new long-term supervised release program concentrating on the unique needs of prisoners who entered prison between the ages of 14 and 16.
- Alabama’s Community Notification Act
Fact sheet on homelessness and permanent punishment caused by sex offender registration and residency restrictions in Alabama.
- The Death Penalty in Alabama: Judge Override
Documents Alabama's unique and arbitrary practice of permitting elected trial judges to override jury life verdicts and impose death sentences.
- Illegal Racial Discrimination in Jury Selection: A Continuing Legacy
Details ongoing problem of racial bias in jury selection.
- Cruel and Unusual: Sentencing 13- and 14-Year-Old Children to Die in Prison
EJI report documents 73 cases where 13- and 14-year-old children in the United States have been tried as adults and sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.
- Criminal Justice Reform in Alabama: A Report and Analysis of Criminal Justice Issues in Alabama, Part One
149-page report addressing sentencing, probation, prison conditions and parole in Alabama.
- Confronting Mass Imprisonment and Restoring Fairness to Collateral Review of Criminal Cases
Article by Bryan Stevenson discusses how mass incarceration has fundamentally changed the administration of criminal justice in the United States and discussing growing evidence that the dramatic rise in the number of people being sent to prison has resulted in an extraordinary increase in the number of wrongful convictions, illegal sentences, and unjust imprisonments.
- Alabama Capital Postconviction Manual
The Postconviction Manual (5th Ed.) includes topics such as juror interviews, ineffective assistance of counsel, preparing for evidentiary hearings, and federal habeas litigation. The manual includes sample pleadings, motions and checklists, and identifies other resources available to attorneys assigned to capital cases. The Postconviction Manual is $30 (includes shipping).
- Alabama Capital Trial Manual
The Trial Manual addresses investigation in capital cases, discovery, jury selection, challenging pretrial publicity, jury instructions, obtaining funds for expert assistance, and preparing for the penalty phase of a capital trial. The Trial Manual is $60 (includes shipping).